February 6: “Don’t do anything else.” Guided Access

iPhone and iPad

Haircuts are terrible. This has been my son’s opinion since he was a year old, which is why he runs around kind of scraggly most of the time. Several years ago, as a really little guy with undiagnosed ADHD, I was actually a little worried to go to the barber because I was afraid he’d squirm so badly he’d get his ear snipped. It helped tremendously when I could hand him my phone and let him watch clips of Finding Nemo for a while. I think a lot of us have found ourselves in similar situations–at the grocery store, the doctor’s office, and just about anywhere else, depending on the situation.

Only, your worry has probably been the same as mine–if I give it to them, what if they get out of the app and do something else like send an electronic payment or browse the unfiltered internet? In the interest of protecting our information and our kids, it’s important to know about how to use Guided Access. With Guided Access, you can lock your child in a specific app for a set amount of time. You can even disable features like touch, in case you want to let a child watch a video, but not click on another that might be advertised on the sidebar. Watch the video below to learn how to set up Guided Access.